Protecting You and Yours

round_button.gif round_button.gif round_button.gif round_button.gif round_button.gif round_button.gif

Security Guard Training Centre

Information for Businesses

What businesses need to register?

Any business that directly employs its own in-house security personnel, but is not in the business of selling security services, will have to register with the Private Security and Investigative Services Branch. This could include, but is not limited to, retail stores, hotels and hospitals.

Businesses that use security staff from a licensed security business do not need to register.

Will a business need to register and get a licence?

No. A business will need to do one or the other.

How long is a registration valid?

One year.

What does a registration cost?

$80 per year.

The regulations for business that have their own Security Staff have changed in Ontario.

Businesses that employ any kind of Security Personelle such as Bars, Night Clubs, Tavers, Hotels, Mines, Construction Yards, Theme Parks, etc. are now required to be registered with the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services.

The Security Guards that they hire must also have their Security Guard License. The business is responsible for ensuring that all Security Staff have a valid Security Guard License and fines can be as much as $250,000 for the business and $25,000 for the employee.

Click Here to go to the Ministy of Community Safety and Correctional Services Web Page FAQ

Is there a regulation about uniforms?

Yes. The act includes a regulation on uniforms so people will be able to differentiate security guards from police officers. Uniforms also enhance the overall professionalism of security guards.

Security uniforms must include:
Do I need a security guard licence?

You may need a licence if you are paid to do work that consists mainly of protecting persons or property. This includes bodyguards, bouncers and loss prevention personnel.


You will need a licence if your main responsibility in a bar or restaurant, for instance, is controlling entrances and patrolling the property to ensure the safety and security of the establishment and its occupants.

You will not need a licence if you are a hotel, motel or inn manager who may inspect common areas during your shift. Those checks are not the main activity of a manager in this setting. Overseeing the entire operation of the facility, as well as ensuring guest comfort, would typically be your main activity or responsibility.

You will not need a licence if you are a store clerk who may be required to open or lock up at the end of the business day. This is not your main activity. Selling and stocking merchandise would be considered your main activities.

I am a licensed security guard and/or private investigator. Am I obligated to show my licence to a member of the public upon request?

Yes, as per the PSISA, you are required to produce your licence which means showing the front of your licence to the individual, displaying your licence number, name and photo. You are not required to hand over your licence to a member of the public or show the back of your licence.

Why am I required to produce my licence to members of the public?

In the interest of public safety, members of the public have the right to know that they are dealing with a licensed security guard and/or private investigator.
1. A company crest on the chest of the outer garment 
2. The term "SECURITY","SÉCURITÉ", SECURITY GUARD" or "AGENT DE SÉCURITÉ" permanently attached on the chest of the outer garment in block letters in a contrasting colour at least 1.5 centimetres high. The terms must be attached between 2 and 3 centimetres below the name, logo or crest of the licensee that employs the security guard if the name, logo or crest appears elsewhere on the uniform in addition to the chest of the outermost garment. 
3. The term "SECURITY" or "SÉCURITÉ" on the back of the outermost garment, no less than 10 centimetres high (blazers, sweaters and collared shirts excepted). "SECURITY" or "SÉCURITÉ" must be in upper case letters and be in a contrasting colour. 
4. An identification tag (with name or licence number) on the outer garment.

Security uniforms must not include:

Black or navy blue collared uniform shirts
Rank chevrons
Trouser stripes (except reflective safety stripes)
Police-style forage caps

Click Here to get your Business Registration Forms